Aruba Global Cloud Data Center
ARUBA GLOBAL CLOUD DATA CENTER (DC - IT3) Honeywell’s integrated fire and security solution helps ensure the integrity of Italy’s largest data center.
Aruba data centers offer customers the widest range of colocation solutions possible, from parts of a rack, via whole cabinets and private cages to private data rooms or a whole dedicated data center.
Aruba S.p.A., founded in 1994, is the leading company in Italy for data center, web hosting, email, certified email (PEC) and domain registration services. It operates in four different business areas: Data Centers, Cloud, Hosting and Domains, e-Security and Certified Services.
The company has a huge amount of experience in the management of data centers, with a European network capable of hosting around 25,000 racks.
The company offers a cutting edge physical infrastructure on which to host servers, providing maximum levels of redundancy and security to some of the biggest private and public companies in Italy and to international Fortune 500 organisations.
Aruba’s Global Cloud Data Center (IT3) is in Ponte San Pietro, Bergamo, near Milan. All the center’s systems have been designed and built to meet and exceed the highest levels of resilience set by ANSI/TIA 942-A Rating 4 (formerly Tier 4).
The 200,000m2 campus incorporates an area of 90,000m2 which will be dedicated to data centers. The campus has up to 90MW of power with a double connection to utilities. It only uses energy from 100% renewable sources, self-produced using the hydroelectric unit and photovoltaic system or drawn from the network with guarantee of origin certification and is protected 24/7 by armed guards, six levels of security and seven different security perimeters.
The data center is protected 24/7 by six levels of security.
The integrity of the data center is key to its appeal to customers and to its success.
To help ensure the robustness of the center’s protection against potential external and internal threats, Honeywell designed, installed and maintains the data center’s integrated fire and security system, including access control, intrusion detection and CCTV, alongside fire and smoke detection, suppression and alarms.
- Ensure the integrity of the facility to increase its attractiveness to potential customers.
- Minimise the potential for fire/smoke alarm incidents and their impact on the data center’s operation.
- Minimise the prospect of any external intrusion and mitigate the consequences of any potential action.
- Deliver maximum operational performance and value by integrating relevant systems.
- Provide a modular system that can be added to in the future, will work with third party solutions, is user-friendly and is energy efficient.
THE HONEYWELL SOLUTION
- Design and install a fully integrated security solution utilising Honeywell’s DVM600 CCTV system along with Galaxy intruder and access control, a Temaline people management system, Rosslare door readers and 300 Honeywell cameras inside and outside the facility.
- Design and install a fire and smoke detection and alarm solution utilising a Notifier intelligent fire detection and alarm system alongside a VESDA/FAAST very early warning smoke detection system.
- Complement the detection and alarm solution with a redundant suppression system, comprising IG-541 inert gas cylinders with silenced nozzles in the underfloor area. The suppression system works alongside a trained firefighting crew, which is available at all times.
- Integrate the solutions on Honeywell’s Enterprise Buildings Integrator (EBI) R500 platform, providing access from the facility’s security reception area and combining with reception management and photoID systems to ensure the data within the premise’s security operation is always up-to-date.
Camera feeds appear on two DVM datawalls in data center reception and on two monitors for each EBI work station.
- The power, capabilities and effectiveness of the integrated system help to ensure the integrity of the facility, the safety of its occupants and the security of its data.
- Combining integration with quality of the systems and equipment utilised means that any fire or security alarm event is identified and dealt with extremely quickly - eradicating or minimising risk and maximising both asset safety and operational performance. For example, the solution is configured to ensure that any fire or intruder alarm immediately triggers the CCTV cameras in the vicinity of the alarm, so the situation can be immediately appraised and responded to effectively by the security reception team.
- This protects the data center operation and reinforces the sales proposition of the organisation - providing clients and potential clients with the peace of mind they require.
- The modularity of the solution means it can be adapted to incorporate additional systems (including third party systems) or operational enhancements in the future, depending on the development of the facility.
“ Safety and security are essential elements of our operation, both for ourselves and for clients who are entrusting us with their data. The Honeywell solution plays a major role in providing the protection we require, hence we are delighted to have Honeywell as a key partner in our data centers, where we must ensure innovation and security are at the highest level. ”
Stefano Cecconi CEO Aruba S.P.A.